Under the Privacy Amendment Act 2000 it is important that the Medical Practitioners explain how their practise functions and your rights as to the data collected.
I am a health provider in the private sector, bound by the National Privacy Principles which can be given to you on request.
Collection of Sensitive Information. I require your consent as part of my commitment to your care to obtain the following information:
- Personal details such as Name, Address, Date of Birth, Telephone Number for contact, Medicare number and Insurance details. This information is recorded on your chart and also on the practise’s computer.
- Medical history including information on past history, relevant family history, list of current medications, and where necessary weight and height and results of relevant physical examination. This information is recorded on your registration form, and my consultation notes.
- Clinical photographs taken only with your consent and all correspondence from other health providers such as referral letters and pathological results etc. are placed with your clinical notes in your chart detailing your name, address and our access number on the cover. Photographs will not be shown to others without your consent.
The information stored on computer relates to accounts and appointments only. This information is accessed by a secure password known only by staff and myself. The charts are readily accessible by my staff and kept under lock and key after hours. The only persons who have access to your information are staff and myself. Only in an emergency would another medical practitioner have access.
A summary of information collected and advice concerning your treatment and a copy of relevant pathology reports will be forwarded to your referring doctor unless you expressly request not to.
Except where the law requires disclosure such as subpoena, myself and staff will only give any other information to third parties including relatives upon your written authority. Information relevant to billing and debt recovery may have to be released without your authority. The information collected may be used in research in a manner where identification would be impossible.
At the time of a visit any relevant information will be added to your chart. Any information received from a third party will be added to the chart.
You have a right at any time to view your chart and if necessary correct any information which may be inaccurate. You have a right to request copies of pathological reports and records although a charge may be made at the time.
Information will be given to Commonwealth departments such as Medicare and Veterans Affairs only on your written authority.
You have the right to use health services under a different identity. However to access Medicare your true identity must be given to me.
What information do we collect?
- We collect information from you when you register on the site, respond to a survey or communication such as e-mail, or participate in another site feature.
- When ordering or registering, we may ask you for your name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number or other information. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
- We use “cookies” to enhance your experience and gather information about visitors and visits to our websites.
How do we use your information?
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- If you have opted-in to receive our e-mail newsletter, we may send you periodic e-mails. If you have not opted-in to receive e-mail newsletters, you will not receive these e-mails. Visitors who register or participate in other site features such as ‘members-only’ content will be given a choice whether they would like to be on our e-mail list and receive e-mail communications from us.
How do we protect visitor information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. When you access your personal information, we offer the use of a secure server. All sensitive/credit information you supply is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our databases to be only accessed as stated above.
Do we use “cookies”?
We may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. If you turn cookies off, you won’t have access to many features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
Do we disclose the information we collect to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information unless we provide you with advance notice, except as described below. The term “outside parties” does not include Southbank Plastic Surgery Centre. It also does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property, or safety.
However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
In an attempt to provide you with increased value, we may include third party links on our site. These linked sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these linked sites (including if a specific link does not work).
Changes to our policy
Questions and feedback
We welcome your questions, comments, and concerns about privacy. Please send us any and all feedback pertaining to privacy, or any other issue.
Online Policy Only